We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Team Leader role with the Cell Line Development segment of a dynamic and rapidly expanding biotech company specialising in Synthetic Biology. This is a permanent position that will be based out of Oxford, United Kingdom.
The Group/Team Leader will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, focusing on establishing cell line development processes in mammalian cells for the production of both therapeutic proteins and viral vectors for gene therapy applications. The Group Leader is expected to provide technical leadership within this area and will act as a subject matter expert within the company. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
This position will interface with other Group Leaders within the company, in particular the leads for the Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics and Process Development teams. The position will report to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Day to day management of activities within Cell Line Development laboratories
- Direct line management of CLD group
- To work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line with planned project objectives
- To keep up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Set an example to other colleagues, and to train and mentor junior staff
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required, along with taking overall responsibility for output from the group.
- Support and contribute to protection and assessment of intellectual property
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- To ensure established quality standards are strictly adhered to, across all on-going activities
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A PhD or DPhil in a relevant discipline, along with several years industry experience applicable to the role.
- Extensive knowledge of subject area, and ideally a strong network within academic and industry groups
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal skills, including the ability to give presentations and to speak to groups
- High-level attention to detail
- Experience in managing teams, both via direct line management and through matrix management
- Ability to work under demanding conditions, and to cope with shifting priorities
- Good understanding of regulatory requirements for the generation of cell lines for biomanufacturing
- An engineering mindset – good ability to utilize statistics to optimize processes and procedures
- Experience in implementing automation platforms
- Advanced knowledge of genetic engineering tools and approaches