We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Principal Scientist role with a global biotechnology company specialising in antibodies and related products. This is a permanent position that will be based out of the Golden Triangle region of the United Kingdom.
The Principal Scientist will lead the development of new assay capabilities using their scientific and technical skills both within the laboratory and to provide support to the wider custom services team (Commercial, Project management, Assay team), working to deliver bespoke monoclonal antibody projects on time and within budget for various commercial and academic clients.
- Develop and implement assays for bespoke monoclonal antibody projects. Provide technical leadership and support for all aspects of assay development and screening. In particular, bring knowledge of homogeneous biochemical and cell binding assay technologies (e.g. HTRF, alphascreen, Mirrorball). In addition, have knowledge of functional cell assays (e.g. reporter gene, factor release and flow cytometry).
- Implement and optimise liquid handling automation for high throughput screening
- Provide technical support to project managers and commercial teams in customer meetings. Act as a technical advisor for new project proposals, advising on screening strategy and provide data driven recommendations on project progression of existing programs.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the Custom Services Development (CSD) assay team
- Assist with budget monitoring and strategic reporting
- Support Data Management: Ensure the recording and analysis of all processed data in a timely manner, with appropriate population of laboratory notebooks. Enhance current data analysis methods and provide support in implementation of LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System). Assist with the preparation of reports and recommendations for sharing with customers.
- When required, and in conjunction with the project manager, liaise with in-house and external teams to oversee laboratory tasks outside of the scope of the CSD team.
- Assist in developing and role modelling of a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory to ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors. Ensure group members abide by Laboratory SOPs and work within the Company’s H&S, Ethical and Quality standards.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Educated to PhD level in biological sciences (or equivalent)
- Significant experience of design and implementation of assay cascades for new targets
- Expertise with high throughput assay development and screening and a track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Commercial experience in Biotech/Pharma industry and experience with high throughput screening of hybridomas.
- Expertise in homogeneous assay technologies (e.g. HTRF, alpha screen) and expertise in functional assay development (e.g. reporter gene, factor release, flow cytometry)
- A wide knowledge of antibody applications (e.g. IHC, ICC, Flow, ChIP) and data analysis skills (e.g. IC50/EC50) are essential for this role.
- Knowledge of immunisation strategies to support MAb projects and experience with the Development of HTRF assay technologies from first principles would be advantageous but not essential for the role.
- Excellent organisational capabilities, with the ability to prioritise, multitask and work to deadlines
- Experience of line managing and be comfortable building relationships across the business with the ability to communicate and present findings and recommendations effectively.